30.7.14

filling the empty hole.. calzones! gf/df/sf/ef/df/yf

{this post has been shared as part of What I Ate Wednesday}

I usually don't show you guys what I eat every Wednesday, mostly because I am a creature of habit with competition prep in full swing, but this week was a little bit different..


Mostly because of this little page {one of four, actually} that you see above. See all those big long lines? Yeah, there were lots of them on every page. Those are all foods I get to avoid for at least the next 3-6 months, maybe forever. I have been off of gluten and soy for a while now but, aside from confirming those two culprits, this test pretty much made me feel like I am going to give up on food for life! Eggs, dairy, flax, almonds, and yeast {<-- mustard, vinegars, & hot sauces all huge favorites} got the axe.


So, naturally, I went to Trader Joe's to scour the shelves for anything edible. A half hour later, I came out with four items.

...Until four quickly became three when I went to make lunch. Ravenous and ready with a plan of what I wanted to eat when we got home, I busted out my new rice to find that the last little ingredient was "barley."  How could I have missed that?? That was meltdown number one of the new restrictions.. Back to the store it went.


The next challenge came with breakfast. I have to keep my carbs pretty low right now with prep, so I have relied on yogurt and cottage cheese for months now. I absolutely love how cool and refreshing it is on a hot Arizona morning! When I realized I would need to find a replacement, I was a bit disappointed. I kept my chin up and tried to blend some pumpkin with my new vanilla pea protein {doesn't even compare to whey *sigh*} and topped the bowl with fruit, millet puffs, and hemp butter like usual. Yeah, that didn't taste too great. Pumpkin and cantaloupe and blueberries aren't really great friends..

The next day though, I figured something out. I mixed my protein powder with coconut flour and added some coconut milk and stevia until it made a sludge/pudding. It was okay, more of a cake batter than a yogurt, but worth trying if you need something with more protein and less carbs than a normal coconut yogurt can offer.


Lunch brought a new challenge. All I wanted was my beloved bean and cheese quesadilla. It is one of my favorite meals ever, but I had yet to try it without cheese.. Oh, and the fact that black beans and garlic both showed up as sensitive foods made making mexican REALLY fun.. There goes any salsa that isn't homemade! So, here was my attempt at a tostada. I was pretty pleased with this one though! 

Here's how it went:

  1. Heat skillet over high heat, wet tortilla, and place tortilla in hot skillet to let it "fry"
  2. Soften peppers and onions in microwave for a minute, then add mashed pinto beans, chopped chicken, and vegetables to the top of the now crisp tortilla.
  3. Devour. 
I know, not really a recipe, but not many people know you can crisp a tortilla just by running it under some water before throwing it in the hot skillet!



My adventures with allergy-friendly cooking continued when dinner rolled around. Pizza cravings hit, and I was not only dealing with food restrictions due to allergies, but I was also super low on carbs for the rest of the day. Good luck making a pizza with no carbs! Challenge accepted ;)

Calzones! {gluten free, egg free, dairy free, soy free, yeast free, sugar free}
  • Mix 50g of pea protein powder {unflavored}, 7g coconut flour, desired spices, and just enough water to make it into a dough texture in a medium bowl. It will be a bit sticky!
  • Wet your fingers to avoid sticking, and press the dough into a circular shape on a piece of wax paper. Place the dough in the freezer for a few minutes while you chop your toppings and heat a large skillet over high heat.

  •  Once chilled {about three minutes or so}, flip your crust into the skillet and listen to the sizzle! ;)  Turn the heat down to medium and let the crust cook through.

  • Place your sauce {use lots, the dough needs moisture} and veggies/toppings in the crust and {carefully!} fold the crust over.

  • Convince yourself that this beautiful masterpiece is actually good for you! ;) ENJOY!


So, there you have it! Here is a day of eats during my new adventure of working around my food allergies! 

Do you have food allergies? What are some of your favorite meals/swaps to help get you through old cravings?


4 comments:

  1. OMG I AM MAKING THIS because YES! I have so many allergies, it's ridiculous! HA! But this recipe WORKS FOR ME! :) THANK YOU! Pinning this right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! Let me know how it turns out! Allergies make it had sometimes, but I am so glad that this works for you :)

      Delete
  2. can you use a different protein powder?thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried! I am pretty sure than any vegan protein would work, so hemp protein would be another option, but pea lends a very savory flavor to foods so it works well in bread recipes. Whey is difficult to bake with and things tend to come out quite dry and rubbery. I think that if you stick with a vegan protein it should work. You could also probably sub oat flour for the protein powder if you have that on hand. Good luck! :)

      Delete