18.6.14

wednesday wisdom: getting uncomfortable


Guess what day it is?! 


Hump day, leg day, high carb day, slump day, whatever you want to call it, it's here!

Something about Wednesday helps millions of people find the motivation to get through the rest of the week and make it to Friday. The promise of adventure, relaxation, your favorite treats, and whatever movie-perfect scene plays in your mind at the thought of the weekend has you drooling. Honestly, if you are anything like me, the first thought in your head on Monday morning is, how many more days until Friday?

What is so glorious about Friday? Seriously. I'm playing devil's advocate here, but I want to know. See, I think it has something to do with how easy life is on the weekends. You can do whatever you want without your boss giving you orders, having to go to class, or doing anything that is expected of you during the week. Do you realize that only loving your life on the weekends means that, if you live to be 100, you only love 28% of your life? That makes me sad.

What makes the week days so dreadful? See, as a student, friend, personal trainer, and people-watcher, I think I might have found one of the missing pieces to the puzzle: we don't like to be uncomfortable. Anything that challenges us or forces us to stray from our expectation of what life should be gets written off as "dreadful". Doing house work, watching what you eat, getting your workout in, going to work (which, unlike the other items on this list, you get paid to do), or having to turn down a fun night out all seem to have the common denominator. They just don't meet our expectations of what life should be. 


I'm far from wise. I really don't know too much at all. My list of personal experiences is pretty short and I haven't checked off a lot of the world's qualifiers to put wisdom on my resume. I do, however, like to think that I am somewhat good at self reflection. I spend a lot of time figuring out what makes me tick. As I figure some of these things out, I like to share them and see if someone, even just one person, ticks the same way. 

I don't like to be uncomfortable. I don't like change. I don't like to be told what to do. I do not respond well to nagging, and I get frustrated when I help people and never receive an ounce of gratitude from them. I think that very few humans admit to these feelings, but I believe that a majority of us work this way.

As a trainer for just over three years now, I never get sick of seeing people's faces when I explain to them that eating less crap and working harder and smarter in the gym is the only way that they will "lose weight," "tone up," or "get skinny." People don't like to face the reality that they are paying me a premium to tell them the same thing that they have heard and read over and over again. Sorry, but it takes work.

The challenges in life that get us to the days we love are some of the most beautiful moments along the journey. They make you who you are when Friday rolls around. Although I love my days of rest, there is something about the weekly grind that is so invigorating and fulfilling. I'm making it my mission to remember that.

While I don't have much wisdom, and I can't say that I have lived that long, I can bet that there is no bigger regret in life than getting to the end and realizing that you only loved and longed for 28% of it.  Buck up, find something you love, and get after it. Make every day of your life worth living and fill it with things that make you tick. Look for a challenge so that you can overcome it, put the work in instead of looking for the quick fix, and be rewarded. Be stoked for the weekend because you get a chance to get your mind right and get a head start for Monday. Forget rest. Forget balance. Forget anything that makes you loathe the other five days of the week. It's your life, grow up and build it into what you want it to be. Nobody will do it for you.

Today's your day! Get after it!


1 comment:

  1. Awesome post Kendall - I could've told you that you're wise! Hopefully some of that wisdom will rub off on me. ;) Keep your head up, weights heavy and stomach happy! I'm sending lots of positive thoughts your way!

    ReplyDelete