23.5.14

Paris- Day 3

Hello from Cinque Terre, Italy! We spent the whole morning traveling and the afternoon hiking our way through the towns of Cinque Terre. When we were finished, we slept the whole 15 minute train ride back to our hostel in Riomaggiore. It was a very long day, but this city is incredible!

Anyway, I wanted to give you a quick recap of our third day in Paris! It was quite eventful, including trips to Versailles, Musee d’Orsay, and the Eiffel Tower! We started the day with a very early train ride towards Versailles {or so we thought..} We got a little lost.. Even after 3 days of riding tons of trains and metros, we still managed to get a bit confused!  A few train changes and many sign language-laced Q&A sessions with Parisians later, we were finally on our way to the palace of Versailles!


It was absolutely breathtaking! I am 99.9% sure I was supposed to be a queen! ;)

Statue of King Louis at the front of the Chateau


The King's bedroom
 The Queen's bedroom
The view of the gardens from the bedroom!
 The hall of mirrors
 Inside of the hall of mirrors
 Ceiling of the hall of mirrors {if you can't tell yet, this is one of the most amazing rooms in the palace!}

After spending some good time at Versailles, we were ready for a lunch break. We toughed out the hour long ride home, stopped by the grocery store, and had a picnic lunch and mini nap session in our room before heading out for our late night. After we recovered a bit, we went to check out the Musee d’Orsay! Remember the other day when I told you that they closed early? Well, this time, we were lucky enough to get in! I honestly liked this museum much more than The Louvre. The Louvre is gorgeous from the outside, but the Monet pieces in the d’Orsay definitely stole the show for me!

 Inside of the Musee d'Orsay. They didn't allow many pictures, but I snapped this one :)

When we finished up at the d’Orsay, we took the metro over by the Eiffel Tower to find a bite to eat before our evening Eiffel Tower tour. I found a great place on Yelp {even in a foreign country, Yelp saves the day!}, Le Petit Cler, for us to stop by for dinner and we were definitely impressed! We had the Croque Monsieur, a French classic consisting of a grilled ham and cheese sandwich. Each restaurant makes it different, but this one used toast as the base, almost like a bruschetta, topped with a thin layer of ham and a generous amount Gruyere before being broiled just long enough for the cheese to brown and bubble. My mom and I split the dish and we were not disappointed! I’ll get to this in my day 4 recap, but I actually liked the Croque Madame better (topped with a sunny-side up egg!).



The market across from the cafe where we had dinner.

When we finished, we walked over towards the Eiffel Tower, found some dessert {a chocolate-banana-strawberry crepe topped with ice cream, ingested far too quickly for pictures!}, and waited for the rest of the tour group to show up.  As I mentioned before, it doesn’t get dark in Paris until around 9:30pm, so it was a late tour! The ad, which read, “a theatrical tour,” kind of made me nervous since I didn’t know what to expect.. It was a 9pm tour that explained a ton of history of the tower and then gave us a “fastpass” to the second viewing deck. I’ll admit that the guide had both feet and a mouth that moved a million miles an hour {most Parisians seem to..}, but he was pretty entertaining!  Gosh, I would have put up with just about anything for that view after dusk when the tower was glowing. IT. WAS. AMAZING.

This was our crazy tour guide! He was hilarious.

                 



The tower was the most beautiful thing. I didn’t remember much about it from my last trip to Paris, other than the fact that it was huge, but watching it light up the whole square and experiencing the view of the city from the deck was breathtaking. I can’t even put it into words for you. All I can say is that, if you ever get the chance to be there when it illuminates, DO IT.

See? Told you so! Pretty incredible!

Mom and I at the second floor viewing deck!

When the tour ended, the tower lit the way as we walked back to the metro. The day ended with the typical Paris trademark: half-closed eyes, a zombie-like gait, a metro snooze session, and a walk back to the hotel that nobody remembers. Some call it “too much” or “too tiring,” I call it perfection.

That’s what Paris is to me: perfection.


Stay tuned for the recap of our last day in Paris and the beginning of our adventures in Italy!

No comments:

Post a Comment