6.3.14

The Road From Desire to Reality





Feel like going to the gym now? How about skipping that handful of chocolate chips after dinner? 

If you're anything like me, you don't!

So why are we still wasting our time "pinning" and idolizing these standards and results? You can't convince me that seeing a thin girl in a bikini with a workout next to it makes you want to go work harder. Actually, it's much more likely that you will sit and sulk at how much of a failure you are at living a healthy lifestyle. Why? Because that's not how motivation works.

As a fitness professional and business student, I have studied motivation for the past 3 years. It fascinates me! No matter what I do or say, I can't make people show up to my circuit training classes or convince them to make healthier choices in the cafeteria. It's not that they don't want to, it's just that they want something else more.

I am a form of extrinsic motivation, as are the motivational posters that plaster the walls and dashboards of social media sites. While extrinsic motivation can inspire you to find a personal dedication and desire of your own, it can't create it for you. That is your job.

It's called intrinsic motivation, and it's not optional if you want to be successful. Your life consists of a series of choices, each one stringing together the moments that make up your life. When your desires are fueled by your dreams and aspirations, you can no longer make excuses. You see, excuses are rooted in circumstance and an imperfect world. You have to decide that your commitment isn't to the latest diet plan or the smartest "get rich quick" how-to book. Your success depends on only one person: YOU.

What's it going to take to get you to prioritize your dreams and make them a reality? When you stop looking around you for the self-help guides and start looking within, you'll find the answer. The only plan that works is the one that you stick to. 

Daily Affirmation: Today I know that I have the ability to be whomever I choose. I can make my desires a reality, not because circumstance permits me to, but because the power within me is greater than any adversity that can be thrown my way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment