18.3.14

the best salad EVER


I hate homemade salads. Actually, I hate most homemade salads. Over the years, I have found little "musts" that are absolute non-negotiables when I am making a salad at home. You can use the tips for any salad and get creative, but I have a beautiful combination of flavors that I have fallen in love with and repeated at least 4-5 times a week for the past year. I'm not kidding! Today, I thought that I would share the list with you!

Kendall's Salad Non-Negotiables:

  1. The lettuce must be chopped! If you prefer leaves hanging out of your mouth while you chomp like a jurassic-park dinosaur, have at it, but it's not for me!
  2. Shake it up! I love all of the flavors to come together, so I always chop everything (see number 1) and then mix it well so I get all of the great flavors in every bite. This is especially necessary with dressings. When the leaves are tossed in the dressing, it makes such a difference!
  3. Have a dominant flavor. I love strong cheeses and they are my favorite addition to any salad. Feta, parm, gouda, goat cheese, blue, they are all great!
With those "musts" in mind, I bring to you my favorite salad!





The Favorite Roasted Vegetable Salad
(Any of the vegetables can be subbed out, I just use my favorites!)
  • 1 medium carrot, sliced
  • 1/3 cup brussel sprouts, chopped
  • 1 cup broccoli, chopped
  • 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
  • 1/8 cup onion, chopped
  • 1/3 cup asparagus, chopped
  • 1/3 cup mushrooms, chopped
  • 1/2 zucchini, chopped
  • large handful of spinach
  • 2-3 cups of romaine lettuce
  • 2T cottage cheese
  • 1/2T blue cheese
  • 3T balsamic vinegar
  • 3T red wine vinegar
  • salt, pepper, and oregano, to taste
  • optional: grilled chicken
  1. Pre-heat the oven to 450F
  2. Chop all vegetables and place them on a greased baking sheet. Spray with cooking spray and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
  3. Bake veggies for about 20 minutes, or until they begin to brown on the edges. While they bake, chop your lettuce and toss in a bowl with the balsamic and red wine vinegars. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and oregano. Toss well.
  4. When the veggies come out of the oven, allow them to cool before placing them on top of the salad. Add chicken, if using.
  5. Top with cottage cheese and blue cheese and serve. 

What is your go-to lunch?

No comments:

Post a Comment