20.3.14

Here’s the secret.


“Run a marathon to get the legs you dream of.”
“If it fits your macros (IIFYM), brah! Pop tarts for days!”
“Don’t do any cardio or your muscles will fall off.”
“You have to bulk if you want to gain muscle- it’s not an option.”
“No carbs. Keto is the only way to lose fat.”


I am so tired of hearing these “secrets” being preached. They’re everywhere: the gym, school, the health food store, and 90% of the spam emails I get on a daily basis. What. The. Heck.

Guess what? I’ve been a runner. I ran myself into the ground and only stopped when I blew my knee on a 10-miler. My legs weren’t like that Victoria’s Secret model’s airbrushed sticks. I did IIFYM and ate tons of crap that “fit my macros” and I was addicted to sugar, had serious stomach issues, and was depressed that my progress in the gym was in a downward spiral. I quit cardio, and I gained fat- lots of it. Muscle too, but not enough to make it worth it. I swore off carbs and I spent a couple days in my bed with no energy and lost some water weight.

These are no secrets in my book.

The real secret: you have to do what works for YOU.


If gluten makes your stomach hurt, don’t eat it. If you have to have your sweets, maybe IIFYM will work well for you. If you hate cardio, just eat a bit less to make up for it and strength train instead. The best plan is the one that you stick to.

On the other hand, if you are contributing to this deceitful idea that there is a magic fix to finding balance and happiness in your physique, please stop spreading these lies. Some people need encouragement and truth throughout their journey and you can be that friend without pushing the latest crash diet down their throats. If you're a trainer or fitness professional, you should know better and be able to show your clients results in every aspect of their lives. Weight loss that is accompanied by insanity is so not worth it. You owe it to your clients to tell them the truth and help them build the healthy lifestyle that they can continue for the rest of their lives. 

This is so much more than a rant. I see people every day telling and believing these lies and letting them hold them back from living to their full potential. Find what works for you and forget what Dr. Oz, GNC, your commercial gym trainer, or anyone else tells you. Nobody knows your body and your lifestyle like you do. Find some types of exercise that you love, a few favorite healthy recipes, buy a new workout outfit that makes you feel great, and get after it! Whatever you do, do it with everything in you. Don’t wander towards your goals, chase them. Find out the secret for yourself.

What lie are you going to stop believing today?


No comments:

Post a Comment