11.3.14

Gluten Free Cinnamon Roll Protein Pancakes!


Oh yes, do I have a treat for you today!

soft, fluffy, healthy, and delicious cinnamon roll protein pancakes!

I am, and always have been, a pancake-loving girl! Growing up, my daddy would take me to McDonalds (don't judge, I wasn't a health blogger back then!) and read the paper while I ate hotcakes and played on the jungle gym. When I was hanging out at my second mom's house (Tracey and my mom used to do child swap when I was younger), she would get out the big skillet and my friend, Dustin, and I would stand on our tip-toes, beady eyed as we tried to guess what animal each pancake would be shaped like. She was always so good at flipping and Dustin and I would leave the table having eaten a whole zoo of animals! 

Then, as I got older, my brother was born and my mom quit working.  We would go to Ihop on Sundays for brunch after church and I always loved the pancakes. Butter and syrup were my toppings of choice and I was always having my parents cut them up into bite-sized pieces for me. As I got started on my healthy eating journey, they were something that I missed terribly. My brother, being almost 5 years younger than me, would still order the short stack when we went out and I ordered a healthier egg-based dish. I would always find myself stealing a bite or two.. or three when he went to the bathroom.. (Sorry Ben!) 

When I finally got my act together, learned that carbs weren't something to fear, and discovered what a balanced lifestyle looks like, I knew it was time to re-ignite my love for pancakes of all shapes, sizes, and flavors. That's when this beautiful masterpiece was born.

Cinnamon Roll Protein Pancakes (gluten/soy free)

  • 7g (1tbsp) coconut flour
  • 20g (2/3 scoop) cinnamon bun whey protein (can use any flavor)
  • 15g (about 2tbsp) oat flour (or ground oats)
  • 180g (3/4 cup) egg whites
  • 100g (1/2 cup) pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
  • 1tsp vanilla extract
  • pinch of salt
  • cinnamon and stevia to taste
  • optional: chocolate chips, coconut butter, grass fed butter, or maple syrup for topping
  1. Heat a skillet of medium heat.
  2. Blend your oats into a flour if necessary.
  3. Measure and mix dry ingredients thoroughly.
  4. In a separate bowl, mix egg whites, pumpkin, and vanilla. Add them to the dry ingredients and whisk well.
  5. Spray your pan with nonstick spray, then pour in your batter. When bubbles start to appear on the top of your pancakes, carefully flip.
  6. When the bottoms are golden brown, move them onto a plate and top with desired toppings. 
Makes 1-2 servings (5-6 medium pancakes)

What was your favorite childhood breakfast?


1 comment:

  1. We NEED to make these when we get back to loma! I'm sure you still have a ton of cinnamon bun protein powder to go through lol ;D

    ReplyDelete