13.3.14

glorifying a busy life


My favorite post-workout treat is a coffee from my favorite drive through shop. When I'm home, it's almost a daily occurrence! It's one of the highlights of my day, until they ask me the dreaded question..

"What are you doing the rest of the day?"

Oh how I loathe that question. I hear the worker's tone of voice and I immediately become defensive. Why do I have to tell you what I'm doing?? It's almost as if I have to justify the fact that I don't have any plans. Most of the time that I am home, I am on vacation and my days usually aren't jam-packed. I love it. I run myself into the ground when I am away at school between my two on-campus jobs and being a full time student, yet I feel guilty the second I have to admit that I am taking a break. 

Why on earth do we take so much pride in how full our planner is? More people, events, and to-dos don't make for a joyful life. More isn't always better. Actually, it's almost never better. We spread ourselves so thin and forget that there is more to life than striving to reach unrealistic standards. 

Let's change that today. Why? Because someone has to. Someone has to stop glorifying a busy life and show the true colors of a stressed and rushed life. That's what it really is after all. I don't know about you, but I don't want to get to the end of my life and realize that I never made time to escape to my favorite vacation spot, stare at the ocean from the cliffs for a while, or spend time with people who needed a friend. Those things are what bring me true joy. More isn't better. 

The next time someone asks you what you are doing for the rest of the day, choose to break the habit. I'm enjoying a day of rest is a perfectly acceptable answer. It's enough. You're enough.

On that note, what are you doing today?? 

Just kidding!

What are you going to give up to make room in your schedule today to do what truly brings you joy?

No comments:

Post a Comment